Active, Stylish DIY Woman
Sometimes a little understated elegance is just the thing.
These teardrop post earrings can be worn to a charity fashion gala, an intimate romantic dinner date,
or to pickup your child from soccer practice.
Your mood will improve just knowing that these earrings were partly made by you.
If you have a little beading or wire-wrap experience, this is a great starter project to explore jewelry making the way jewelers do it.
The steps are simple:
1. cut the connecting wire between the two earrings in two places, right next to each earring
(Always wear eye protection when cutting metal (even with poultry shears, craft wire cutters or a jewelry saw))
2. smooth the nubs where you cut with a fine nail file, fine emery board, and fine nail shine pad
3. gently push a 5mm cubic zirconia, or ruby, or sapphire into the pre-notched setting in each earring.
(some gems are offered separately here, others gems are available in most cities, and online)
4. gently squeeze the settings with small flat nose craft pliers to be sure the gems will stay in place
5. check that the gem top is parallel with the earring and the gem is in all four notches in the prongs with a magnifying glass
6. use standard friction earnuts to wear the finished earrings
Measurements: each teardrop earring is 7.2 mm wide by 15.1 mm tall by 14.2 mm deep (includes standard post) (0.28 in wide by 0.59 in tall by 0.56 in deep (includes standard post).
Quantity: 1 pair of earrings (2 pieces) are cast separately, each ready for a gem
Recommended gem size: faceted, calibrated 5 mm round (one per earring)
Standard friction earnuts for 0.84 mm (20 gauge) post earrings are appropriate (but not included).
Cautionary note about the 'natural silver / rough cast silver' material - it is rough, exactly as it comes from casting.
If you are a jeweler with the proper finishing and polishing tools, that is fine, you will be able to do standard polishing.
It is labor intensive and a little technical; so I do not recommend this finish for anyone who does not have standard jewelers studio polishing equipment.